Anger?

Travis

Is there any god of anger in Greek Mythology? I am aware of Ares, the god of war who is a bit short tempered, but is there a god who controls and inspires anger?

Camma

I found this : "LYSSA was the goddess or daimona (spirit) of rage, fury, raging madness, frenzy, and, in animals, of the madness of rabies." Here: http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Lyssa.html She sounds rather wonderful ! The article goes on to say that she was related to the goddess of mania and madness. The Roman equivalent was the goddess Ira - which linguistically must be linked to the word irate.

I think Lyssa works in my local post office these days.:eek:

Travis

Wow, that's interesting Camma, thanks for sharing. I worry she has been hired by our competitor to inspire rage and madness in our office. :D Is she a single or married goddess?

Myrddin

Appaerntly it was Lyssa who was asked by Hera to send Hercules into the rampage of madness, in which he killed his wife and children, though she tried to persuade Hera to reconsider (without effect).

fibi ducks

Appaerntly it was Lyssa who was asked by Hera to send Hercules into the rampage of madness, in which he killed his wife and children, though she tried to persuade Hera to reconsider (without effect).
oh, actually that was one of my favourite parts of any of the plays I read. (the madness of Hercules, author I forget) Lyssa doesn't like what she does. Its brilliantly written.

Nadai

I checked out the site posted by Camma. It was very interesting! I'd been taught about Lytta in reference to Bacchus, but I never knew that she was the one to enspire Herakles to madness! The way I learned was that she was present when Herakles' cousin was accidentally murdered during the Bacchinal festival. During this time the women are in a rage, inspired by Lytta, and drunk on the wine of Bacchus. They are known to flee to the woods where they would tear apart animals and consume their flesh raw! During this time a servant of Hera, Herakles' aunt was one of the women. She saw her son, who had been bound and gagged and disguised, and thought to make him a sacrifice so she and the others tore him apart. It wasn't until after he was bleeding to death that she removed his mask and saw that he was her son. After her son's death she calls on Hera, who hates Herakles, to take vengence on him for the death of her son.