Ancient aliens - the evidence (documentary)

Wotan

During the documentary "Ancient Aliens - The Evidence" (which was aired on the History channel) it shows these heiroglyphs

http://imageshack.us/m/705/156/iwanttofly.png
(image posting is not working, go to the link to see it)

and claims it says "I want to fly"

I have only been studying egyptian for about half a year, but I emediately could tell it was not even close to saying "I want to fly" (fly has a birds wing in it for gods sake)

So I decided to try to work out what it actually said, after stairing at it for about 4 minutes I realised I did not recognise ANY of the word bunchings, the fact they lacked determitives (symbols that explain the word) was strange enough. So I started to sound out the egyptian sounds.

"I...w...a...n..t...to fly." It is literally just the english words "I want to fly" written with egyptian heiroglyphs, considering the slight gap in time between these two cultures I have determined that this documentary is complete bollox.

Does anyone else have some docos that are complete crap and full of lies? we should make an "avoid referencing these things list. :p

Wotan

I have no idea, but I was pretty disgusted. I mean, most of the general public would have not known, and even worse some people would reference or learn those glyphs and not know that they are wrong. You would think one of the several egyptologists who had PHDs on the show would have spoken out and said "um, that is bollox"

Myrddin

Honestly, it's like what is the world coming to? These supposedly learning channels will throw in any kind of crap now, a lot of it not even learning shows. TLC for instance plays more reality shows than anything else, now. And yeah, I've seen quite a few fictional shows on the History Network, some of them not even about history (like JAG for instance). Discovery is still pretty good, though. Discovery and National Geographic. So far they both still play only documentary shows to learn from.

Pegasus

Wotan, thank you for sharing your insight! I have not seen this episode, but it is something that has put a big question mark in my mind. The History Channel would be one place you would like to turn to in order to get the inside truth about something, not be mislead by people that should be experts in their field. I can understand if they want to show a movie that ties in to history, but to abandon it for something unrelated? There are plenty of other channels to watch for that.

Allie-Gator

I really,really hate to hear this. I thought the history channel was very reliable and only gave information that had been verified. That apparently doesn't seem to be the case. I would rather do the research myself if this is going to be the quality of the programming.

Myrddin

I really,really hate to hear this. I thought the history channel was very reliable and only gave information that had been verified. That apparently doesn't seem to be the case. I would rather do the research myself if this is going to be the quality of the programming.
Honestly, pretty much the only sources you can trust anymore is books.