Alice in wonderland

jerri

Does anyone see how many myths could be started from the book "Alice in Wonderland". Out of this book you could get parables also. If a religion could be started from "Dyanetics" I think it'd be a far more interesting religion if AIW was the basis.

Myrddin

Children's Literature is one of my favourite subjects, and I have always liked Alice in Wonderland. It is definitely one of my favourite stories. What if Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass were parables of the Old Testament and New Testament?

RLynn

I'm fascinated by the mathematical and logical gimmicks in the Alice books. I would hate :mad: for Alice's adventures to become the stuff of Sunday school lessons and church sermons.

jerri

Myrddin--Along the same lines then could 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' and 'Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator' be old and new? RLynn-Have you ever read 'Dyanetics'? It doesn't really resemble much of Scientology (or vice versa)-it's pretty good, at least the first half was.

RLynn

Jerri, I've never read anything by Hubbard, not even his science fiction. Now you've got me curious.

jerri

Hubbard was a sociologist that traveled around the world studying different religions and cultures. Dianetics was published in 1950 and made a big come-back in the '70s. It was the basis for Scientology. One of the theories that I liked best was that emotion indicates an imbalance in the mind (kind of like Vulcans). Any strong emotion means something is out of whack. Didn't really agree with mankind springing from an alien in Middle Earth (don't let that turn you off the book). The second part of the book described how you could get cleared and how to become a clearer-or whatever they're called. That's how Scientology makes their big money-charging so much to clear people. It also mentioned that some of our emotions date back to the womb which I thought a little bizarre-mommy and daddy fighting while I was a fetus didn't really affect my life much I don't think.

Allie-Gator

Honestly, I would be shunned if I was a Scientologist because I'm always emotional. I have rather a strange personality wherein I'm either up or down and nothing in between. They would have a field day with me. LOL

Toni

Back to Alice. Some believe that Lewis Carroll was either on drugs or had a split personality. Either would have allowed him to write the nonsense literature that he did. He also liked to entertain younger children.....hmmmmmm.

jerri

I had heard that he did a lot of psychedelics which is how the mushrooms got into his book. (Or maybe the pills represented mushrooms and I'm the one on drugs-lol). Alice was based on a child of a friend of his.

Myrddin

Back to Alice. Some believe that Lewis Carroll was either on drugs or had a split personality. Either would have allowed him to write the nonsense literature that he did. He also liked to entertain younger children.....hmmmmmm.
Or, technically he could just have been a creative genius. You don't necessarily have to have an ailment to write so effectively. It could just be that he had quite an imagination.

I had heard that he did a lot of psychedelics which is how the mushrooms got into his book. (Or maybe the pills represented mushrooms and I'm the one on drugs-lol). Alice was based on a child of a friend of his.
Yes, Alice Liddell was the child in question.

Toni

He could have been a creative genius. I just can't imagine having an imagination like that. Maybe that's why I'm no author. I just think there is a lot left out of his bio that we don't know. Just saying.