Ahh... music. favourite genre, favourite artist

Myrddin

Ah, music. It soothes the savage beast. Just was wondering what everyone's favourite genre was. And of course what artist, in that given area.

Me? I like many. In the land of classical, I've got Mozart at the top of the list. And I would say my favourite genre is Rock/Pop... with four favourites: Avril Lavigne, Bon Jovi, Britney Spears, and Lady Gaga. Also like Shania Twain and Shakira. AC/DC, The Beatles, Diana Krall, The Who, instrumental soundtracks... it's endless.

Ah, you stole my idea, i was gonna ask people ;D

I like metal =) not all of it, my favorite sub-genre's being power metal, folk metal, goth metal and black metal (and blackened death metal) As for my favorite artists...i like DragonForce, Sonata Arctica, Leaves Eyes, Alestorm, Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, Tyr, Behemoth, Satyricon (older stuff...), Nightwish, Northern Kings etc, there's just a few... I also like, like new age sorts of music? Like say with Native Americans, or from many cultures to be honest, its just especisally good when it had a metal feel to it =)

blarneyrubble

Well when I was younger I was very much your goth and metal kid with a healthy spash of Indie thrown in but these days it tends to be Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Spiritualised etc etc. I'm intruiged by Amys' choices, may I ask what 'blackened death metal' is ? when I was younger, Venom, Napalm Death and Bathory were about as hard as it got!

Behemoth class themselves as blackened-death metal =) they sort of like ahve death metal music, but then the lyrics are in the same style as black metal, in the sense they write about hypocrisy in religions like Christianity. I don;t listen to much of it really, just Behemoth really caught my eye. I remember listening to Venom a few months ago and was quite shocked! They're very good in their own rights, but i prefer the Norwegian black metal scene, i think it contains much more atmosphere than the older stuff, like more instruments etc.

I like Keane, The Killers and the occasional bit of The Script etc from time to time, just depends on my mood =)

VidaDuerme

Indie/Folk. The Mountain Goats, Of Montreal, The Shins, Van Morrison, Alisson Krauss, Animal Collective, Caribou, Iron & Wine.
I also enjoy classic rock, particularly the stuff that came out of California in the 70s.

Nadai

...My list is too long... I like everything except today's rap. I like music from the 70s and 80s...back when music was music...now they only ever talk about hoes and alcohol. I love R&B, rock, jazz, blues, metal, reggae, some country when they're not talking about drinking and killing themselves or being abused, techno, oldies...
My favs are Ozzy, Michael Jackson, Rapper's Delight, Reba, Cake, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Art Tatum, Yokko Kanno, and the Seatbelts...

Wotan

Yokko Kanno for the win :p, AC/DC (saw em live), Queen, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Ramones, Blue Oyster Cult, tons more... um... can't be bothered naming all :p

TheLoreman

Jean Michel Jarre
Talking Heads
Radiohead
Nine Inch Nails
Kasabian
Mark Shreeve
Bernard Herrmann
Yann Tiersen
Michael Nyman
Danny Elfman
Leonard Cohen

Myrddin

Soundtrack composers I like are Danny Elfman(various Burton), Hans Zimmer(Pirates films, Nolan Batman films, newest Sherlock Holmes films), John Williams(Harry Potter films 1 and 2), and Patrick Doyle (Harry Potter film 4).