Aeneid and virgil's wishes

Dianna

The Aeneid is a very famous poem that rivals that of the Iliad. An interesting fact is that Virgil became ill with fever and wanted it burned. After his death it was published against his wishes. Why do you think he wanted the poem burned?

Bruno

Because it wasn't finished, there were some changes he needed to make, and there are actually some errors in the text.

LegendofJoe

The Aeneid is a very famous poem that rivals that of the Iliad. An interesting fact is that Virgil became ill with fever and wanted it burned. After his death it was published against his wishes. Why do you think he wanted the poem burned?
I love the Aeneid. A college professor told me that Virgil was still not happy with it and still wanted to work on it, that is why he wanted it burned if he did not make it back from his vacation. Lucky for us Augustus refused to burn it. Some people think that the Aeneid is therefore an unfinished masterpiece. Others feel that Virgil was probably being a perfectionist and it can therefore be seen as a somewhat completed epic.

Isis

Although Virgil may have been a perfectionist, I think it's the author who determines when a work is done, so I'd consider it an unfinished masterpiece. Thank goodness it wasn't burned though.

Katie

I'm surprised to find out it was actually an unfinished masterpiece. I found it so beautifully done and incredibly well thought out (which is not something I can say with a lot of books coming out these days), and it was my favorite when we did Classic Literature. I think I should read it again.. Yes, thank goodness it wasn't burned!