Accuracy in film

Ren

Do you ever find yourself watching a film, and generally enjoying it until, not just a few details, but something so historically inaccurate just ruins the whole experience? How do you judge accuracy in fictional movies or books? Should it matter?

yup, example of this is the movie thor, but i think it's okay. the writers have their rights to alter "minor" details for the sake of a good film/movie/etc. Changing the "whole" story itself is a crime! hahaha :p

Myrddin

Actually, I think changing a whole story itself should be a crime. Really. Because there's no need for that. If movie makers don't like the original story, then what's the point of adapting it in the first place. None.

Any inaccuracies bother me. However big or small, and it does tend to ruin the film for me. I think accuracy in movies, and books, is really important. Maybe teeny tiny things that pertain to the desired outcome can be changed around (though it would still bother me), but historical events and what we might know about the character of a person should NOT be changed at all! If either of these things "need" to be changed, then don't make the movie -- because they should not have to be changed. Also, it's kind of insulting that these movie makers seem to think that, what, maybe we won't notice? Always nice to know what they think about our intelligence.

DarkFolly

Obvious historical inaccuracies, like a Roman wearing sneakers or something, do bother me. But generally I try to just enjoy the story and not get too worked up over changes made the story-- that sort of thing can drive you insane.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with changing a story because you want to tell it a new way, or because you have something to say that wasn't there in the original. I think it's just part of the creativity of being a movie director/artist, and to be honest a lot of these stories would be really boring to watch as a movie if nothing was changed. Would you really want to watch a 10 hour movie about the Odyssey with the dialogue in the original Greek and all the confusing (to modern readers) bits left in? I wouldn't!

Ren

I agree completely that films are made in a way to entertain, and that as such shouldn't always be taken all that seriously. But I do think that they should at least somewhat reflect history. If something is way off, like you said, I'm immediately thrown off even for entertainment's sake.

Lorey

I have noticed certain small things, but sometimes I tend to forget it or not really pay it much attention as the movie goes on. If it's a good movie, it takes your mind away from it quickly.

Pegasus

Truly I wish I could remember what film I was watching, but I remember this one war scene that was supposed to be during WWII. When I looked up, all of a sudden I saw German soliders dressed in uniforms from WWI! Ooops I thought. But after thinking about it, I thought how sad. Many people would not have noticed or even known enough about history to even known the uniforms were from the wrong war!

Myrddin

Truly I wish I could remember what film I was watching, but I remember this one war scene that was supposed to be during WWII. When I looked up, all of a sudden I saw German soliders dressed in uniforms from WWI! Ooops I thought. But after thinking about it, I thought how sad. Many people would not have noticed or even known enough about history to even known the uniforms were from the wrong war!
Still something movie makers should be careful about, though, and should really actually do their research before approving. That's just careless.