A question about the children of Metis and Zeus

MarbleHead

When Zeus swallowed the pregnant Metis, he eventually birthed Athena (rather painfully) through his head, but was there a son as well that never made it out? I ask because of this ...

Zeus lay with Metis but immediately feared the consequences. It had been prophesied that Metis would bear extremely powerful children: the first, Athena and the second, a son more powerful than Zeus himself, who would eventually overthrow Zeus.

Hera was the mother of Ares, so maybe there was one left behind in the belly of Zeus with Metis?

Thanks!

Naiad19

You pose an interesting question. I have just recently purchased a book on Greek Myths and Tales, which mentions Metis as his first wife who he swallowed because she foretold that one of their children would gain ascendancy over him. As you said, he then birthed Athena through his head, but I found no mention of a second child. May I ask where you found this information?
Thank you.

Slyguy72

I don't think so. I personally always assumed that Zeus swallowed Metis before the conception of this prophesied second child, thereby stopping said prophecy from coming to fruition. This act would also further juxtapose Zeus with his father, Kronos, as he succeeded in what his father could not: eating his children to stop his prophesied down fall.