• Native American folklore

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • Maya mythology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.2%

• Total voters

Rhonda Tharp

Hmm, the way I understood it was Nefertiti outlived Akhenaten. He died when he was about 36. Some theories say she took control under the name of Smenkhare...
When Akhenaten forced monotheism upon Egypt and moved the capital to Tel El Amarna, the entire economy collapsed because the Viziers, priests and consultants were out of jobs.

Wotan

Least he wasn't as crazy as Nero (the roman emperor) when asked what he was going to do about the thousands of enemy soldier at his gate he replied "I will ride out to them... and SING! when they see how much they have hurt me, they will weap, and I will weap with them" I belive it was the next day that Nero was banished by the Senators.

LegendofJoe

Hmm, the way I understood it was Nefertiti outlived Akhenaten. He died when he was about 36. Some theories say she took control under the name of Smenkhare...
When Akhenaten forced monotheism upon Egypt and moved the capital to Tel El Amarna, the entire economy collapsed because the Viziers, priests and consultants were out of jobs.
I looked briefly at a few articles concerning Nefertiti. There seems to still be some controversy as to exactly when she died and whether or not a certain mummy that was found is her.
I got my info from a documentary on Akhenaton. Now that I remember it, it did not explicitly say she died before him but that during his reign the historical record suddenly stops mentioning her. According to this program, it is then that he goes a bit nuts with the closing of the temples.
I assumed that he was grieving and lashed out. At least that is what I felt the show was implying. But that may be wrong.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Rhonda Tharp

I got my info from a Discovery channel documentary :)
They said that all records stopped with her in them when Akhenaten died but the show implied that she lived on, guess I forgot that it's a theory, lol.

Calliope

Greek mythology is my favorite, with Egyptian as a close second. I have a lot of books on both subjects, but Greek myth is my absolute favorite to study and read about.

Bobby Givens

I like it all, but then again my brain is a sponge for information I may never need again. I love museums and history and mythology just ties all that stuff together.

Myrddin

I voted Celtic myth because it's closely related to Arthurian Legend, which I absolutely love! Though I do enjoy Classic and Norse mythology as well, probably because they seem to be the most talked about throughout literature.

Arachne

I gave Hawaiian mythology its first vote. It's my favorite more due to my heritage than my expertise though.

LegendofJoe

I gave Hawaiian mythology its first vote. It's my favorite more due to my heritage than my expertise though.
Beautiful avatar!
I have not been too exposed to Hawaiin mythology unfortunately.
I have read one large book on Polynesian mythology by Anderson.
Pele the volcano goddess is very popular.
The three important gods of New Zealand: Tane, Tu and Rongo (god of the forest, god of war and god of fertility, respectively),
correspond to the Hawaiian Kane, Ku and Lono.
Maui is the demigod hero who fished up one of the New Zealand islands.
He lives on pehaps as the island Maui.
Captain Cook lost his life when the natives of Hawaii thought he was the god Lono.
He arrived too soon since his previous trip and since the harvesting time did not arrive yet, they became angry at this.
So they stabbed him with the knives he had just given him.

Myrddin

Captain Cook lost his life when the natives of Hawaii thought he was the god Lono.
He arrived too soon since his previous trip and since the harvesting time did not arrive yet, they became angry at this.
So they stabbed him with the knives he had just given him.
I guess you could call that ironic.

VidaDuerme

Anglo-Saxen, Persian, and the admittedly more new (in a relative sense) Haitian mythos. I'm also fascinated with the fairly modern legends of the various Hispanic cultures (as in, the last two to three hundred years).

The Fisher King legends are my favorites, but really any fertility or blood fertility legends. Oh, and those involving wine.

Greek doesn't make my top anymore because I became over-saturated, too much time spent on it as a child/young teen. Dionysius remains my favorite deity, ritual madness is a ridiculously fascinating concept.

Ren

I picked Egyptian, because I like Egyptian history and have studied art history in Egypt, but I don't limit myself to what I know and have many other interests in mythology.

Nora_Rose

I am especially fond of all mythology. It is so interesting how everyones cultures have so much similarity when it comes to mythology. Anansi, one of my favorites, from African folklore is a trickster just like Coyote in Native American mythology.

Myrddin

I am especially fond of all mythology. It is so interesting how everyones cultures have so much similarity when it comes to mythology. Anansi, one of my favorites, from African folklore is a trickster just like Coyote in Native American mythology.
And Loki in the Norse; Lady of the Lake, Nimue, in the Celtic (there's more than one); Prometheus is considered a trickster in Greek.

Rhonda Tharp

I am also interested in the comparative aspects of mythology. Speaking of Anansi, have you heard of the trickster, Eshu? I don't recall the tribe he is associated with, but I remember a story about him wearing a hat that was half white and half black. He walked through town, and one person asked another person if they saw Eshu in the "white" hat? They got into an argument because they both saw Eshu, but one saw the white side of his hat, and the other the black side of his hat. He is a bit of an instigator like Hermes, Krishna, and Loki.

Myrddin

I am also interested in the comparative aspects of mythology. Speaking of Anansi, have you heard of the trickster, Eshu? I don't recall the tribe he is associated with, but I remember a story about him wearing a hat that was half white and half black. He walked through town, and one person asked another person if they saw Eshu in the "white" hat? They got into an argument because they both saw Eshu, but one saw the white side of his hat, and the other the black side of his hat. He is a bit of an instigator like Hermes, Krishna, and Loki.
Ha ha! I like it!!

LegendofJoe

Eshu is from Yoruba mythology. They are in modern day Nigeria.
A Christian Nigerian I know told me that Eshu is seen today as almost a Satanic figure.
I guess a trickster is closer to the devil than to God.

Rhonda Tharp

Eshu is from Yoruba mythology. They are in modern day Nigeria.
A Christian Nigerian I know told me that Eshu is seen today as almost a Satanic figure.
I guess a trickster is closer to the devil than to God.
Interesting... reminds me of Europeans spinning the old matriarchal customs into something evil or Satanic.