New to the celtic world

Discussion in 'Celtic Mythology' started by Paul Ludwig, May 23, 2016.

1. Paul Ludwig

Paul Ludwig New Member

I have just learned through DNA analysis that I am actually of Irish decent. I would like to explore Irish history and folklore - focusing on pre-Christianity. If anyone could point me toward a starting point (i.e., website, podcasts, online websites - as well as books/magazines) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
  2. Lost Egg

Lost Egg New Member

Hi Paul, I've been meaning to reply, sorry its taken so long.

There are two books I'd recommend as a basic intro to Irish Gaelic / Celtic myth...

Teach Yourself Celtic Myths - A good entry level book
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celtic-Myt...4&sr=8-1&keywords=teach yourself celtic myths

Mammoth Book of Celtic Myths - A heavier book but worth a read. It includes a selection of myths from across the Celtic World (some are Irish) and I'd say its worth reading them all, even the non-Irish ones.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mammoth-Ce...2&sr=8-1&keywords=mammoth book of celtic myth
  3. The Misfit

The Misfit New Member

In 2015 I visited the Giants Causeway in Ireland. There was a visitors center with a very nice book store. As I am not familiar with Celtic mythology I wanted to buy a book about it. I know much about Norse mythology as I have read the Eddas. The Eddas are the two books that are the earliest/best sources for Norse mythology. I wanted to buy a sort of Celtic equivalent of the Eddas. I tried to explain what I was looking for to the guy working at the store, but as he was unfamiliar with the Eddas, he really couldn't steer me towards quite what I was looking for. He recommended the book A Treasury of Irish Myth, Legend & Folklore by Isabella Augusta Gregory and William Butler Yeats. While it's not the sort of early source material I was looking for, it looks like a good jumping off point. As I have not read it yet (I read all the time but there are so many books to read!), I don't know if I could recommend it, but it does have a lot of extremely positive reviews on amazon.
  4. Shinks

Shinks New Member

I haven't read the book A Treasury of Irish Myth, Legend & Folklore that Misfit mentioned, but have done what I consider to be a fair amount of research via the internet. As far as I am aware, the majority of what we know about Celtic myth came from oral tradition, rather than early source material like the Eddas (which I have yet to finish). If there are any early sources, I would be happy to hear about them