Clown kidnappers

Arachne

I remember reading as a child about a rash of kidnappings, all of them apparently focusing on children, in which the kidnapper was dressed as a circus clown. He/she would snatch a playing child out of a backyard, and then carry them to a getaway van driven by another clown; nothing has ever been heard of any of the children taken in this way. I know it happened in the US at some point late in the past century, but beyond that I can't give specifics.

Has anyone heard of this?

Myrddin

I have not, but it reminds me of a CSI: NY episode in which a killer was dressed as a clown. In the first scene after the main credits (Baba O'Riley), the CSI's had a large group of similarly dressed clowns gathered around them, though of course, they didn't get much of a lead from them.

greekgoddess31

This was an urban legend, not a true story that circulated in Chicago in the early 90's. I grew up there and I remember this but the police could turn up nothing on this supposed clown kidnapper other than random accounts that always varied.

Arachne

I presume we are thinking of the same incident. If so that puts my mind at ease; I was surprised that an incident as dramatic as this (if it actually happened) would be so obscure.

magickz

I really am not fond of clowns to start with, the movie "It" messed that up for me even though I adore King's crazy mind. Now if I saw a kid being snatched by a clown I would still tackle it though. :p

Isis

I can see how the urban legend got started though. Many kids like clowns and may be more apt to trust them than a stranger wearing normal clothes.

jerri

John Wayne Gacy was a serial killer who murdered 33 teen boys and young men. He had a part-time job as a clown entertaining children at parties. Brian Dennehy played him in a movie. This might be the guy you're thinking of-his nickname was Killer Clown but he never (as far as I know) used his costume to lure children.

Myrddin

John Wayne Gacy was a serial killer who murdered 33 teen boys and young men. He had a part-time job as a clown entertaining children at parties. Brian Dennehy played him in a movie. This might be the guy you're thinking of-his nickname was Killer Clown but he never (as far as I know) used his costume to lure children.
Shiver... Creepy.

Dianna

From what I have seen, there are similar stories that were rampant in schools in the 80s and 90s. Everywhere from Main, to Chicago and Oregon. I am guessing this is a story to keep kids from talking to strangers.

Enertia

Clowns are so creepy! I have been afraid of them since I was little! I have never watched the movie "It". My mom told me that when I was small I told her this clown doll I had was talking to me. Maybe that has something to do with my hatred for clowns. All I know is that if I see a clown I run the other way.

Yep, an urban legend that I heard for years. Parents want to keep their kids from talking to strangers so they invent these kinds of stories, I think. Unfortunately I think most children kidnapped or murdered are taken by people they actually were acquainted with. Clowns do creep me out though, even without kidnapping stories.